Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Been Sailing

Well I made the July 25th deadline and got the Albacore on the water. I took my long time friend who is a sailing Guru although mostly in big boats, and I do mean big boats , a tall ship to be exact. So we head out and except for a few hitches like really weak wind and not being able to get the centerboard positioned correctly we had a blast.
I've been trying since the 25th to get out sailing again and something conspires against me. Mostly it's the weather, if it's not raining there is no wind. Today is the first sunny day (still partly cloudy) I think we've had in about 2 weeks and there is no wind to speak of.

I've also replaced the main halyard. After the first sail while packing up I pulled the wrong end of the main and up inside the mast it went. It turns out this was a good thing as the main was frayed and was about to break which would not have been fun. Replacing the main was a little challenge as I had to use a electricians fish tape to get the main back up the mast. I got the tape stuck and had to remove the foot off the mast to free it which again turned out to be good as the foot rivets were getting pretty loose. Slowly the boat is being upgraded as I go. The next upgrade is adding a boom slide so that I can move the main sheet to a 2:1 purchase instead of the 1:1 purchase I currently have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home