Monday, July 24, 2006

Centreboard Update

It's done, the centreboard gasket is in place with one small hitch.

The first step was to cut the gasket material to length, which was easy to do. The next step was to cut the aluminum bars to length. I cut two small pieces, one for the front and one for the back of the centreboard hole and then two longer strips for either side.

The cutting was a slow tedious process but one that went fairly well, some small problems but nothing to bad. Next up was drilling the holes in the aluminum
for the srews and the counter sinking for the screw heads. This took a while and many, many attempts to get the right drill bits and the correct depth for
the counter sinking.

The next step was to layout and drill the pilot holes in the boat for the screws. This was easy yet unnerving to drill holes in the hull of the boat.

Before placing the gasket in place I put down some marine adhesive/sealent to seal the holes. It made a mess which took a little while to clean up but I think
it was a necessary step to take.

So now everything is in place, the stainless steel screws bit well into the Albacore hull and everything seems to be gowing well until I turned to boat over.
It turns out that my hull isn't as thick as I thought. My calculation put the hull, gasket and aluminum at just over 3/4 inches. Well 3/4 inches ended up putting screws
sticking out into the cockpit of the Albacore.

Now I have to figure out what I am going to do. I am thinking of glassing some wood over the holes to provide some backing and extra surface area for the screws the connect with.

I think for now though I'll leave them so that I can get the boat in the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home