Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Kingston Area needs a Dinghy club

My boat is mere days away from being put on the water in who knows how may years. I've had the boat for 7 years and before that there is no telling how long it was sitting in the alley under that tree. I'm thinking at least 5 years.

I think I've blogged before about how impressed I was with the dinghy clubs in Toronto. Now they didn't have fancy bars or facilities but I think that is the point. As a soon to be first time dad I don't have a lot of extra money lieing around to spend on club fees. Currently most of the dinghy sailors I found are either members at an established yacht club or they trailer their boats. A yacht club certainly has it's advantages, nice clubhouse, bar with tender, kitchen with cook and staff to organize races and club events. Unfortunately all those extras cost money and while it might not seem like a lot $700 - $1000 a year for two people plus extra fees to dry dock my boat on a dolly is a little too expensive for my tastes. After spending that much on membership fees, who can afford drinks and food?
The other extreme is trailering the boat. Other than wear and tear on your car, trailer, boat and the loss of time rigging and de rigging the boat this is essentially free. The drawback are obvious, no or harder to organize races, lack of consistency and general frustration having to rig a boat before sailing and de rigging the boat after a long day on the water.

There is a third option is what I am doing this year. I am paying money to a marina (Collins Bay) that harbours keel boats for dry docking. Now this is a lot cheaper than a yacht club but lacks other dinghys. Seriously I have been told that I will be the only dinghy at the marina other than the sailing schools boats.
I think the downside of this doesn't even need to be explained.

So what am I thinking when I say the Kingston Area needs a dinghy club? Well not a lot really. A protected place to store you dinghy on it's dolly, a small area with a launch ramp specially deigned for easy launching, a dock to holding multiple boats while their dolly are being returned or fetched, A trailer with change rooms and a portapotties.
The club would be as inexpensive as possible, memberships would be enough to cover costs which would be kept to a minimum. The goal would be to create a friendly atmosphere for dinghy owners to hangout, and sail together.

I had no idea what a dinghy club was before I went to Toronto and now I think the Kingston Area needs one. So if your a dinghy sailor in the Kingston area
that is interested in this idea or know some who might be interested drop me an email at Myfirstname.Lastname@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home